Tuesday, August 16, 2011

When Things Go Right

For the next installment of our adventure, I was waiting for some sort of great moment or thought to inspire me to write the next part. But Baruch Hashem, things went really smooth and in a way, the kind of inspiration I was looking for, was, I realized, reserved for the more challenging experiences.  So I had no interesting and wild story for this posting, but we sure are glad about that because that means that things have gone right. Right now, a boring story is our greatest blessing! So with that intro, here goes:

On Wednesday morning after Tisha B'av, Yaakov went with my father-in-law and a friend of theirs to meet the movers in Woodmere. They left at 6:00 AM to meet the movers who were supposed to get there between nine and ten. Believe it or not, there was still a lot more to be done before we could hand over the keys to the super.

When they were almost at their destination, Yaakov received a message from the moving company that they had to change the schedule around slightly, and the movers would be coming at 12:00 noon instead. When Yaakov told me this, like a person with P.T.M.S.D. (Post Traumatic Move Stress Disorder), my heart skipped a beat. "N-n-n-n-no. No, I'm sorry, they can't. Can you please call them right away and tell them this was not acceptable. I mean, they can't just switch on us!!!!" But Yaakov reassured me that it's really okay. There were still things to do and it would give them more time. I know, you're wondering, how can you possibly need more time, right?) And they would be able to pick up breakfast after davening and with the morning to work, they still would not need to leave Woodmere that late. "Ok, ok, fine," I relented. "But call them back and MAKE SURE they're going to be there no later than 12. Not by a minute!!"

I was so scared this was going be another crazy story, but it actually wasn't. They came as expected. Worked well and on schedule, and Yaakov and his team had just enough time to do "a whole bunches of stuff" as Tehilla would say. They vacuumed inside the couch, brought some boxes and things to the car to bring back to Connecticutt, figured out what to do with some odds and ends, and did the final clean up.  Yaakov and my father-in-law relayed that "it worked like clockwork." There was no way Yaakov and I could have done it all in such a short time while taking care of Tehilla and Rena. They also did all this with no air conditioner because we sold our units just before leaving Woodmere the last time. I would have been going nuts, but Yaakov was okay and my father-in-law said it was "delightful." (I don't call it delightful unless it's a max of 71 degrees, and I get the feeling that it was a bit warmer than that.) So they left Woodmere in good time with a perfectly empty and clean apartment. In the meantime, I was hard at work shopping at the mall with my mother-in-law and kids. I'm telling you, these days, shopping isn't what it used to be! Just kidding. It was great fun!

On their way home, they stopped in Queens for Chinese and picked up supper for us as well. Yaakov's fortune cookie? "You are rejuvenated when things get done." Uh huh, good one. So that was it. Totally smooth, B"H. We could now move along to our next destination... Canada! Stay tuned!

1 comment:

  1. These adventures mixed with the exciting, though frustration circumstances, define your experience. We would not appreciate the good without the difficult challenges..... At least that's what I have been told. Keep on enjoying! Can you post pictures on this blog?

    ReplyDelete